Mac Admin eBook recommendations
It’s the Monday after Thanksgiving in the US, so it must be Cyber Monday; the busiest online shopping day of the year.
Many online retailers are offering large discounts or other promotions. With plenty of other blogs covering gift ideas for your techie friends and loved ones, here we’ll be making some on-sale book recommendations that IT bods will enjoy.
Although both Amazon and the iBooks Store are having sales, we’re going to be linking direct to the publisher’s store. All the books listed can be downloaded in one or more of the ePub, Mobi or PDF formats; allowing greater flexibility to read on almost any device — iPad, Kindle, OS X or future gizmos.
Cyber Monday special offer, save 50% on all ebooks and videos with discount code CYBER3.
- Learning Unix for OS X — Mac folks love the GUI, but don’t be afraid to get under-the-hood!
- Learning Python — the fisticuffs have ceased and the Mac Admin community has pretty much settled on Python as its scripting language of choice.
- Version Control with Git — now you’re scripting, get that code under version control! Then go on to win praise and adoration by sharing through GitHub.
- Vagrant: Up and Running — nothing beats virtual machines for developing and testing your admin skills. Create and destroy your VM minions with a ruthless efficiency!
Cyber Monday sale, every ebook just $15.
- Pro Puppet — we rely on Puppet a lot at pebble.it to manage a great many of servers and Macs. This is a pre-release version of the 2nd Edition (which should be released any day now). See our other posts on Puppet on this site or on our Lead Engineer’s blog.
Black Friday sale, 45% off one, or 60% off two or more ebooks or videos, with discount code BFDIG2013.
Peachpit publish the Apple Training Series books for certifications such as ACSP and ACTC. These Mavericks titles are not yet released, but purchase them now while they’re discounted and you’ll be able to download from the date of publication.